Wednesday 22 May 2024

Fun Pastimes as a Kid in the 1970s and 1980s

We all must have memories of our favourite toys and the odd things that would ovcupy our minds as children. Here are a few of my favourites. I always wanted a girly metalic pink or blue bike that was all the rage in the early 80's and as usual my lovely parents, got it slightly wrong and got me a Hercules fold away bike like this one. Although I was slightly disappointed it wasn't exactly the bike I'd asked for, it was the first bike my folks had actually bought for me, as I always ended up with my brothers hand me downs (yes, I used to ride a red Tomahawk before this beauty!) I loved playing cops and robbers on it, particularly Starskey and Hutch and Chips!

I became quite proficient at roller skating too. My uncle would take my brother, cousin and I to Roller City in Rochdale and I even had some lessons so I could do all kinds of tricks like pirouettes, one legged crouch, skating backwards etc. I loved tearing down the pavement as fast as I could and I still roller skated (secretly) when I was in my teens. (I got embarrassed that I was too old) These were the exact same boots I had. I want white leather ones, like Torville and Dean style, but as always I got what I asked for, just not in the style or colour I wanted. Aww, bless. But this was one of the activities I used be able to do whilst fantasying stories, like being a Princess in a stately home, or a gyspy girl who lived in a shiny caravan and didn't have to go to school and could live outside all the time.


Elastics or French skipping or Chinese Jump as it is also known. At St Margaret's we called it Elastics and I was simply brilliant at it. I didn't like sports as such, but cycling, roller skating, elastics and two ball were my talents and I'd practice and practice until I was the best and no other girl in my class could beat me. I even used to practice at home alone by putting elastics under the dining chair legs and playing in the house. I must have seemed quite an odd child to adults when I think about it.


Two Ball was literally throwing two tennis balls at a wall in a certain sequence whilst doing various tricks like calpping in between throwns, juggling with just one hand, turning around in a circle. Again, I would practice this game at home for hours under my dad's carport so even if it rained, I could still play out! This was a pasttime that would allow me to drift into my head and my thoughts once more, but this time I would dream of all the toys I really wanted for my next birthday or Christmas, like a Pink and Pretty Barbie!


At one time, there was always a park within spitting distance from a kids house, these days you have to go to the main towns parks run by the council, but on our estate, there was a waste area with garages and a big playground with swings, slides, a big round about and rides similar to what you see in these pictures. This was a great place to make new friends with kids who lived on the estate, but you'd never normally meet because they didn't live on the same road as us. If I went alone though, this was a great time for me to play my Science Fiction games such as Space 1999 and Blakes 7



And, finally no reminiscing about being a 70's kid is complete without the mention of this crazy dude. The Space Hopper. Now, for some reason both my brother and I asked for a Space Hopper and never got one, but we knew all the kids on our street who did have one and so if we fancied a bounce around on a big plastic orange ball then we'd call on our 'special' friends to have a go. I can still feel the excitement and exhilaration of bouncing around really high on this, especially when going down a steep hill. Great Fun!





I think every girl played skipping. If you didn't then I don't know where you're coming from. These where the exact same pair of ropes I used to have and we'd play doubles, singles and in groups. In  the early 80's when Double Dutch became all the rage, I even managed to master two rope skipping. Although these days I think I'd have a heart attack if I did any kind of skipping. As a kid it seemed so easy, but now it's just so hard.



I don't have any pictures of me learning to swim, but every Tuesday evening after school was swimming lessons. I remember almost drowning on my first attempts but I got as far as my life savers badge when we moved from Heywood to Bluntisham (Cambridgeshire). We'd go to Gask Pool on school holidays quite regularly and I rmemeber going with my cousin a lot and a friend called Kate. Going to Bury baths was a big treat because it was enormous compared to Heywoods little pool.
OMG! I LOVED Brownies and Guides. These are photos of St Margarets Whit Walks in the very early 80's. I was so proud the day I was allowed to carry the pack's flag and we used to do it regularly as we had to attend church parade to be a part of the pack. I loved the badges we had to do. I remember doing toy maker and making a green felt owl I still have today and a papiermache piggy bank. Safety in the home I almost failed because I couldn't light the match I was so afraid of burning myself. Agility, I could do because I could do tipple overs and cartwheels, but that was about it!

Collectors badge because I was a big horder and collected stamps and foreign dolls mainly at this time. We had a halloween party one year (i've already written about this in another blog,) where I dressed as a witch and won 1st prize. I remember going on a trip to Blackpool zoo and I loved the standing in a circle around the toadstool and a stuffed owl at the beginning and end of each evening to say the Brownie Promise and to sing a song or say a prayer. My auntie turned up one evening as the area commissioner which I was so proud of. Weirdly I had no idea she was involved in Guides until that night, but I was very happy to see her.

I still have my Brownie Guide handbook!

Summer holidays and hot, balmy days meant water fights. The kids at one end of the street would have a water fight with us lot round the corner. The essential weapon of choice was of course the fairy washing up bottle. My friend and next door neighbour Angela had a tent just like this one, so when it was nice weather we were allowed to pitch it in her back garden and play in it like a huge Wendy house. My folks even let me sleep out in it twice with her. I'm not going to go on about it because I have already mentioned in another blog, but, Oh what fun!

Camping in friends back garden, my friend Angela was a little bit older than me and as a Brownie I always wanted to camp out. Angela had her own tent so a few times during the summer months we would camp out in Angela's back garden and have midnight feasts which general consisted of lots of chocolate! I absolute loved camping out with Angela and I cherish those memories. This was the exact same tent we used to camp out in!


I loved to dance and although I wasn't exactly graceful as a ballet dancer, After Heywood Civic Centre, Whitefield Ballet Classes (which was awful) and the Samaritans centre (Thumbelina  routine in a previous post) - My auntie took me and my cousin to an old church or village hall in Middleton where I really enjoyed myself. It wasn't traditional Ballet and tap, but more contemporary and we danced to routines such as Lazy Bones, Albatross and Puppet on a String. We did a showcase and I had to dress up as a clown and a Charleston dancer in this electric blue satin dress. Why we stopped going, I don't know and why my mum never took photos I also don't know.
So I moved on to Taskers where I discovered Ballroom dancing and my talent... Every Saturday I'd spend the entire morning there while my folks went shopping. Little Jimmy was my teacher and he was kind and also very good according to my nana and grandad who were avid ball room dancers themselves. Unfortunately, there was a very unpleasant girl in our little group of six and for some reason she always picked on me to the point where she dug her nails into my legs and drew blood, so, my parents complained and Jimmy offered to give me 1 to 1 tuition. Which I loved.

My Uncle Dave was an avid squash player and he used to take me and my cousin Nichola there when he was looking after us, but wanted a game of squash. This was back in the days when kids were allowed to be let out of adults watchful and I have to say we did run riot. I used to love going there because it reminded me of Chips as they were always playing squash or in fancy American bars. Bamford Squash club did have such a bar and we used to play Chips or Starskey and Hutch there. I also remember messing around in the ladies toilets and we found this little doll and my cousin stuffed it in the ladies disposal unit. I had no idea what it was for back then, I just thought it was an incredibly smelly bin!! I still love walking past squash courts now and watching people play, and the sound of the ball ricocheting from wall to racket still gives me goose bumps and a thrill to hear.

I Hope you enjoyed, if you'd like to read more things I have been inspired by over the years, please check out my Crime Novels The Mancunian Tales and my Urban Fantasy Books The Beyond Series. Or for something different watch My Videos on YouTube channel.




No comments:

Post a Comment