Thursday 24 April 2014

Inspirational Fun Days Out - Castle Heddingham Battle

As we have just had the Easter weekend and I always like to do something constructive with my time off. As I have always said no work and no play makes Ali a very dull girl indeed and I'm sure no-one wishes to read blogs about how many words I've written for my next novel or how many submissions I've made that day for my latest completed novel!!!







So I found an events page for 'Essex at Easter' advertising a Medieval Siege and Battle Re-enactment day at a local Castle Heddingham near to Braintree. I have always wanted to see a battle re-enactment from British history and as I have a huge fascination with castles (having written three books about a bunch of fictional witches living in castles around the UK My book website 'plug plug').
As I arrived we could see people from The Medieval Siege Society Ltd (oh yes it's BIG business) dressed in some very realistic costumes carrying various weaponry such as swords, bows, spears, which to me was all very exciting, because although my imaginary covens live in modern Britain they have withdrawn from society and live as they did in the past. So to see what I had envisioned in real life was exhilarating.
We walked around the Castle inside, which I must say was impressively preserved and decorated with wall hanging and rugs. There was archery to try and a traditional camping area where we could look at the crafts and chat to the serious re-enactment fans who lived for the full weekend as they would've one in the middle ages.








No cheating either with a gas stove tucked away in the tents somewhere. They ate traditional food and drink cooked over old log fires. They had a falconry display, a jester and some minstrels playing traditional music. I was very impressed and recommend stepping back in time for a little insight into our illustrious history. Plus it gave me inspiration for writing further about the Romanov Witches coven in my next Beyond Series of Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment