Tuesday 21 July 2015

Bavarian Charm - The Beyond Series Supernatural Inspiration

Vienna

I was very sick when I first arrived at Vienna and so I didn’t move from my bedroom properly for two days and when I did venture the aromas of food on the Christmas markets made me gag. Lots of smoked and fried foods like the potato rostis’s, snitzel, brockwurst sausages and sourkraut. Not an ideal diet when you have a delicate tummy.





However, when I did finally feel better I took a tour of the imperial palace, once home of the Emperor and his Empress Elizabeth. It read a very sad story and I have the book at home to read, but basically in the nineteenth century any aristocratic female who had beauty and accomplishment was in firing line of the future Kings lustful advance. Sadly Elizabeth, from Bavarian stock loved nothing more than to hunt on her father’s land and rarely dressed appropriately for occasion or for her stature. 

The King shows up to check out big sister, but think Liz is way hotter so whisks her off to Vienna to make his Queen. Once incarcerated for the rest of her life there she developed eating disorders and she was probably the first recorded case of Anorexia Nervosa. Her servants were horrified when she had gym type apparatus were erected in her private apartments so she could exercise vigorously every day. 











There were a few of her outfits on display in glass cabinets and her tiny physique was extraordinarily thin. I bet I could have put my hands around her waist and my fingers and thumbs touch. There were rumours that she only ate raw meat and blood which I found an interesting concept to look into for my own Horror books one day and I'd also like to revisit Vienna and see the sights I didn't get chance to the last time I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment