Tuesday 16 June 2015

Buda Pest - Scary City with Inspiration for The Beyond

I wasn’t as impressed with this city as much as with previous city breaks. Maybe I saw the wrong part of the city, but for me it seemed a dull, post war, concrete jungle full of train tracks.

I fancied a pampering at one of their ‘famous’ spa baths, but when I got there it stank of sulphur and the baths looked like some hideous Russian Leisure park complete with frighteningly large and rather curt, female therapists, (The Life's and Loves of a She Devil kinda spring to mind!)



However, I did visit the old, stone built part of the city, with eerie little winding streets and an amazing view of the Danube River and ate at the fantastic Red Devil restaurant which was dark, Gothic and atmospheric - deep underground in what could only be described as stone arched cellars with witch and devil effigies dotted around the place. 






The food was hot delicious and wholesome.  I chose this for the setting of the last chapter of Didikai Witch where Amethyst and Michael decide to hide from dangerous 'supers' by travelling around Europe in search of their family prophecy.



 




I found a great bar and nightclub in a shopping centre, but unfortunately everything shut down really early, so on our way back to the hotel I made a detour into a club with a flashing pink neon sign outside. I went in and a security man began shaking his head and waving saying “Women only, women only.” So after having a couple of drinks already I turned to my friend and said “Oh, it’s a lesbian club. Are you okay with a lesbian club?” Friend was like, “Oh sure, we’re only staying for a drink right?” So I nodded, smiled and said, “yes, women only.” 





We walked straight into this 80’ style discothèque, dark and dingy with velour seats, mirrors, glitter ball and a great big shiny pole in the middle of the dance.
I thought it odd, but ignored and continued to look at the very expensive drinks menu. Looking around we suddenly realised the clientèle was made up entirely of men in business suits.
And if the penny hadn't dropped by then, two very fierce looking women dressed in bikini’s and frighteningly high pointed shoes stormed past us then flung their bodies around the poles as two more draped themselves over a couple of men’s laps whilst giving me the evil eye!!! Needless to say I decided to leave immediately and left at record speed!



The old part of the city and along the Danube river was very beautiful and atmospheric - almost perfect for a scene in one of The Beyond Books series, but there was also many areas that I thought was dull and unmoving. One could even see bullet holes in the concrete tower blocks! Or maybe I just went to the wrong areas of the city.
Even when I googled photos for Budapest, this bridge and area of the Danube are the only views I seem to get, so maybe there isn't much to the city after all. Put it this way though, I won't be going back any time soon, but at least I can say I went.

Visit Alison's Website

Read and Buy the Four Beyond Books Here

No comments:

Post a Comment