Tuesday 28 October 2014

Book Four Mutterings and a Cult Film In The Making

As I finished writing Lycan Lamia, my fourth book in The Beyond Series last week, I celebrated with a spot of Werewolf wine from Southwold… Then indulged in a week of NOT writing anything until this blog. Seven weeks to thrash out a novel is no mean feat, but mine is brimming with yet more ideas and I completed the first chapter of my next writing project the same day. There I was eating my my quiche and salad from the local deli, when BOOM!!! The first chapter of Mink Coats exploded in my head and I felt compelled to write it before I forgot it.

Mink Coats is not the full title, it is quite a long and unusual one, but I don’t wish to reveal it just yet, because I love the title as much as the idea. It has nothing to do with The Beyond Series or the supernatural. A gritty true life story of the struggles just one of many women whose hope and dreams were destroyed by war time 40’s Britain. My Nan wrote her memoires and gave me the honour of reading them. She asked me to write her life story once she had passed on to her higher calling and I intend to honour it by writing it as a fiction novel.

So last night I went to the cinema and watched a low budget, but great film, which apparently is gaining cult status… Northern Soul. Set in the Manchester area in early 1970s, it follows a young man in the bleak times of striking, power cuts and a lot of political upheaval, the boy finds his escapism through soul music and disco dancing and was introduced to a underground sensation called Northern Soul, ultimately though the scene was shrouded with drugs, mainly amphetamines so the teens could keep going until the morning. It reminded me a lot of the rave scene of the nineties.



The protagonist hits rock bottom when he experiences the harsher side of drugs and life, but crawls out the abyss and dark path he was on to make amends with family and friends. I wanted to watch this film, because it was set in my home town and I was over the moon with excitement when my house, street and park by my street appeared several times. Yes… I witnessed some of the filming last summer and the sleepless nights of film crews floodlighting my little cobbled street like a football pitch and me awake with lots of over exuberant, loud discussions about the film whilst I was trying to sleep was well worth it.

Exciting Caravan News…. I blogged last week I was looking for my caravan I used to stay in when I was a little sprog holidaying in Porthmadog. Well I found one, Riveira Monaco… and now I know its correct name, I googled it and found a plethora of photos of my beloved holiday home. I’m happy now, I’ve seen it as I remembered it. Obsession over with, onto the next one.






No comments:

Post a Comment