Tuesday 9 September 2014

Bath - The City of Pampering Spas and Ghost Tours

I have always wanted to see Bath, I love things old and historical, so when I got the opportunity to go to this amazing city I jumped at the chance.

The Roman Baths were just incredible, so well preserved and presented to the public, I love it when they show old ruins as they would have looked in their heyday and they certainly did that, especially when you walk through the courtyard and the museum shows digital video of people walking through the entrance and to the temple. Brilliant. The tour guide was excellent too, explaining even how the pumping system worked! It's not cheap, but if you want to everything about Roman life then this is the place to go. 


The town was revived in Georgian times when Queen Anne began to go there for therapeutic purposes and so this is why the architecture in Bath is so typically Georgian. The Pump Room is where you can overlook the main spring that used to service the Roman Baths and is now a beautiful tea room complete with pianist playing all the way through lunch. You can understand why Georgians and Victorians enjoyed the social occasion of High Tea. Very lovely.


The cathedral was amazing too. There was even a reading from the priest whilst I was just sat in a pew enjoying the peace and quiet, I was actually quite moved and uplifted by the sermon.


Now whenever I go to an old city, whether in the UK or in Europe, I always manage to find a ghost tour. I have even done one in New Orleans. It's so atmospheric and this was no exception. We started off at this alley next to the most haunted pub in Bath and the Bath Theatre. Looks creepy, yet cosy to me too!


We heard of Lovers throwing them selves from Theatre roof tops after a duel in the pub next door. A man that walked down a lane behind The Crescent, a battle on the field opposite The Crescent and Lone Ghost Butterfly that appears during a play at the old theatre, which is apparently a good luck charm!

Haunted Tree! Couldn't see any Orbs though.
My friend and I also spent a morning in Thermae Spa. Oh Wow! What a wonderful pamper day and THE BEST spa experience I've ever had. First you go in a Tepidarium type pool that has a current so you can just float around as you gossip with your friends. Then you go into the aromatherapy steam rooms (four massive glass rooms) until you can stand the heat no more, then move up to the roof terrace pool, which you cannot swim in, because its too busy full of women mainly nattering away very loudly, but also because there are jacuzzis in the corner of a steaming hot pool! Amazing, finished all too quickly.
Me at the Baths in Bath!
As you may know I love all things haunted, creepy and supernatural. So it's no wonder that I also like to write my own supernatural stories. Vampire Sorceress is the third instalment of  The Beyond Series of books The paperback version can be purchased from Completely Novel now or you can upload on Amazon Kindle today.

No comments:

Post a Comment