Monday 19 January 2015

Edinburgh and East Coast Scotland

Holyrood House – To me most stately homes are pretty much the same these days. As a child I loved to go to Chatsworth, Tatton Park and other lovely country houses and imagine that I lived there in Victorian times. These days I look at such places and think 'oh that’s pretty, but worn' and move on. Holyrood was pretty much put in that category for me I’m afraid. What few rooms you did see were grand, but as a working palace I guess they don’t have to show all the house off. At least I can say I've seen it.

Mother Earth Museum – This has to be the best Museum ever!. First you go in a lift that takes you back through time. Then you walk through different ages of planet Earths life. So there was the dinosaur age, Ice age, various stages of human evolution then an actual rain forest that produced a rain storm every 30 minutes or so. Then you were whisked off to the future to decide the future of the environment. I guess the interactive stuff is great for children and I wish there had been museums like that when I was a child.


Edinburgh Castle – This reminded me of Tower of London. That’s as much as I remember. I don’t go wild for the massive castles, like Caernarfon, Windsor and Edinburgh… They’re full of tourists! No I love looking on an ordnance survey map, find a key for castles and Abbeys then drive to some random farmers field and wander around the ruins imagining what it must have been like as a busy working fortification. R=This is how I wrote about Criccieth Castle in Didikai Witch, the actual castle today is virtually in ruins, but my love for the landscape and the town meant it was a perfect location for the Romanov Coven.



 Christmas markets always make me feel warm and excited inside. Takes me to fond memories of my past.

 The Witchery just made me think of all things occult, dark and gothic - I've decided to decipher the signs and discover the history of this strange pub. One other thing I didn't do is the underground catacombs, which are very haunted. Next Time!
Seton Sands Holiday Village – A pretty little campsite spoilt slightly by a power station. Also have to cross the road to get to a muddy beach.


Hogmanay – Edinburgh was incredibly busy, but the Christmas markets were still on and I love that whole chestnuts roasting on an open fire and Mulled wine stalls, Ferris wheels and sparkly lights. It's all so cosy and lovely. It was nuts with far too many people for my liking. Glad I did, doubt I will go again.


I've always wanted to do Edinburgh Fringe Festival in the summer time, but I need to sort out my claustrophobia amongst crowds first I think. I definitely want to return to this side of Scotland as there is still so much to do and see. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment